Got some information you want to circulate quickly and extensively? Learn what it takes to get people to pass it along.
You Will Need:
* A juicy story
* A testable credential
* A gullible person
* Fear-mongering (optional)
Keep it simple. Research shows that rumors are more likely to spread if they are uncomplicated.
Keep the cruelty in check. Remember that rumors have the potential to ruin reputations.
Include a vivid detail that is easy to envision, which helps plant the story in people's minds, as well as making it easier to believe.
Make sure the story is difficult to disprove, so a little fact checking doesn't stop it in its tracks.
Make it shocking, but feasible. Rumors that spread quickly are bizarre enough to be titillating, but not so outlandish as to be unbelievable.
A rumor that preys on a specific fear is more likely to be passed on.
Give it a "testable credential" – a detail that can be proven, even if it doesn't prove the story itself.
Get the ball rolling by telling it to someone gullible. Extra points if they also have a big mouth.
Keep the story alive by repeating it often. Research shows that the more we hear a rumor, the more we'll believe it – even if we're being told it's false!
Fact: Researchers have found that workplace rumors are about 95 percent accurate.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades